Scroll down to see all the great art and athletic camps this summer. Something for everyone!
All classes and camps are run by individual members of SRA. In order to register, please pay with cash or check to the individual instructor. You may come into the office during regular office hours to register for any of the camps. As there are limited spots available, please note that your child will not be registered until payment is received.
A staple of the 2010s, the art of looming involves taking small colorful rubber bands and looping them together in a pattern to create chains, bracelets, and even rubber animals! Come and enjoy this laid-back workshop and hone your creative looming skills. No experience is required. All materials provided. Max of 10 participants.
- Who: Recommended Rising 3rd-6th Grade.
- When: June 4th
- Time: 2:00 – 3:00pm
- Cost: $20 per person.
Each participant will make a tote bag using natural materials on natural colored bags. Please collect and bring leaves, small branches, small shells, and small stones of your own. Hand prints can be used as well. (Our teacher will be bringing her own collection of natural materials that can be used.)
- Who: Ages 5-10 years old
- When: Sunday, August 22nd
- Where: SRA Clubhouse
- Time: 1:00 – 2:30 pm (FYI- This class may go a little past 2:30 pm) 😊
- Cost: $25
*RSVP by Thursday, August 12th to reserve your spot! (A minimum of 5 participants is needed to hold this class and a maximum of 8 participants permitted.)
Email the office to sign up as well as stop by the office to make payment for your class.
Betsy Manson is offering her knitting expertise and would love for you to join her for knitting camp. Here is the information that you need to know in order to sign up for this exciting camp:
- When: Wednesdays ~July 7, 14, 21, and 28
- Times: ~2:15-3:15 pm
- Ages: Grades 4 and Up (Mother/Daughter Knitting is Welcome)
- Cost: ~$60 for all 4 Classes (Please make checks payable to Betsy Manson)
*All Knitting Materials Will Be Supplied
*Send an email to the office to sign up for this class
There is a limit of 8 knitters for this class, so don’t delay signing up!
Ages 6 and Up
Need 6 participants to hold the class
Karmalita Bawar once again offers basic and intermediate instruction on how to make origami (the Japanese art of paper folding). Some beginning projects include simple animals, flowers, and ornaments. More advanced participants will be given independent projects. Origami paper supplied. Each class ends with paper airplanes.
- Session 1 (1-2:00 pm): Friday, June 25 – $10 per class
- Session 2 (1-2:15 pm): Monday, August 7 – Friday, August 11
Please send the office an email if you would like to register for this class.
Starting the week of June 30th! Join us for some fun summer workouts in the Clubhouse while your kids are at swim team practice on Wednesday and Friday mornings from 9:45-10:30 am. These 45 min classes are great for men and women (all levels), and will use the Tabata timing method to give you a full body workout. You just need to bring a yoga mat (or similar) and a water bottle, all other equipment will be provided. You will use resistance bands, gliding discs, Bender balls, and your own body weight. During each workout, we will work on strength, cardio, balance, and core. We can create a challenge that is right for you! Classes will be led by Jo Ann Rossi, Personal Trainer and Group Exercise Instructor.
- When: Wednesday and Friday mornings starting June 30th from 9:45-10:30 am, 45 minute classes
- Cost: Choose either $96 for all 4 weeks (Wed/Fri each week), or $15/class drop in rate.
Call the office and sign up today!
Yoga for Youngsters
Risking K-3rd Graders
Yoga for Youngsters is a camp specifically designed for the younger yoga student. Absolutely no prior experience is necessary. This camp will provide students the opportunity to practice fitness, enhance healthy body awareness and increase strength, flexibility, and balance in a fun, non-competitive environment.
There are three parts to each class. During the first segment, students will explore different yoga poses through games, interactive stories, themed sequences and creative moments. Students will spend the second part of camp making various craft projects that will complement that day’s class theme. Each class will end with a short period of quiet and stillness where students will turn inwards through different mindful practices. Lastly, they will follow various guided relaxations and concentrate on breath work. Students are encouraged to wear comfortable clothing that allows them to move freely.
Sarah Peavey is a graduate of the 200-hour Teacher Training program at Glenmore Yoga and Wellness Center where she previously taught prenatal yoga classes. She is working towards her 500-hour training with an emphasis on therapeutic yoga and her 95-hour Children’s Yoga certification. Sarah is currently taking a break from teaching in the classroom to stay at home with her two young children, Bodhi and Jane.
For more information, contact Sarah Peavey at email@example.com.
Register in the SRA office; make checks payable to Sarah Peavey.
- Dates & Time: July 18-21, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Cost: $125 – Tuition includes a yoga mat.
- Bring a filled water bottle, healthy snack, a blanket and a favorite stuffed animal to camp each day.
Join Andrea Bleck-Smith for Adult Yoga class at Southampton. This hatha style, stress relief class will focus on using breath work to help spinal alignment, maintain and build strength and flexibility, and reduce stress in daily life.
Andrea Bleck-Smith is a 500 hour Experienced Registered Yoga teacher and a Certified Yoga Therapist. Teacher-certified through the Himalayan Institute and the International Association of Yoga therapist, she has over 3500 hours of teaching experience including teaching yoga teacher training. Teaching in the Himalayan tradition, Andrea uses the hatha style of yoga. You can visit her website at www.ablecksmith.com.
Guidelines — To get the most benefit from this course and to establish good habits for future practice, please remember the following:
1. Wear loose-fitting, comfortable clothing to class. You may wear socks, but bare feet are best.
2. For safety and hygiene bring a yoga mat to use during class. (The teacher will provide additional yoga props for use during class.)
3. This is your opportunity to practice relaxed awareness of body, breath, and mind. Be gentle but firm with your body. To avoid injury and get the most benefit, do not strain or go beyond your capacity.
4. Do no aggravate any current health problems. Let Andrea know if you have a health concern so she can offer adjustments to best benefit your body and mind.
5. To ensure safety: all students must be able to get down to and up from the floor without assistance.
6. Ask questions. Andrea is here to help you with all aspects of yoga, please ask if you have questions, concerns, or need assistance.
- When: Classes will begin in May and run through the end of August
- Times: Mondays, 8:00 – 9:00 a.m. and Fridays, 4:00 – 5:00 p.m.
- Need a minimum of 4 participants to run each class
- Cost: Drop in rate of $10 per class, or $54 for six classes
Register through the SRA office with checks payable to Andrea Bleck-Smith
Robin Trainer will offer Pilates
When: Monday and Wednesday evenings from 6-7pm and Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 7:45-8:45am.
Contact the SRA office to register or for more information.
Salvadore Dali ROCKS!
Discover and learn about Dali’s surreal artwork, then apply his ideas and motifs in an RVA Rocks-style painting activity. A brief interactive lecture on Dali and his contributions to the artworld will be presented. Afterward, participants will paint rocks to “hide” and “find” in their community. Channel your inner Dali and express yourself in this beginner-friendly class. No experience is required. All materials provided. Wear clothes that can get messy.
Recommended rising 5th-8th Grade
- Cost: $20
- When: August 4, 10-11am
Max of 10 participants.
Dragons are everywhere in Chinese culture. Why? Learn the answer and more in an interactive lecture followed by a chance to get creative and craft your own paper dragon. Additionally, we’ll learn how to write and speak a few words in Mandarin Chinese. No experience is required. All materials provided.
Recommended Rising 5th-8th Grade
- Cost: $20
- When: August 5, 10-11 am
Max of 10 participants
Midsummer Mini Camp
Swim some laps or get some tennis in while your kids enjoy creative projects, movement games, making music, and interactive story time! Lillie is a high schooler at Maggie Walker and along with her mother and sister, she will be offering this camp for kids K-2nd grade. Lillie enjoys working with children and has led regular classes in Tae Kwon Do, and assists with children’s choir at her church. We ask that parents stay on site during the camp. The participants should wear sunscreen and clothes that can get messy, and please bring water.
- When: Camps are held Wed-Thu-Fri from 9:30-11:30am.
- Cost: $35/Day. (Sign up for the days that work for you, but 8 child maximum per day)
Session 1: June 29 – July 1
Session 2: July 6-8
Session 3: July 13-15
Swim some laps or get some tennis in while your kids enjoy creative projects, movement games, making music, and interactive story time! Lillie is a high schooler at Maggie Walker and along with her mother and sister, she will be Athletic Camps
Basketball, Baseball, Soccer, Yard Games, etc.
If you have an athletic background and you would be interested in offering a camp to our youngsters ages 9-14, please contact the SRA office.