Scroll down to see all the great art and athletic camps this summer. Something for everyone!
All classes and camps are run by individual members of SRA. In order to register, please pay with cash or check to the individual instructor. You may come into the office during regular office hours to register for any of the camps. As there are limited spots available, please note that your child will not be registered until payment is received.
Ages 8 and Up
Need 6 participants to hold the class
Karmalita Bawar once again offers basic and intermediate instruction on how to make origami (the Japanese art of paper folding). Some beginning projects include simple animals, flowers, and ornaments. More advanced participants will be given independent projects. Origami paper supplied. Each class ends with paper airplanes.
$6 per drop-in or $25 per 5-day session.
Session 1 (1-2:15 pm): Monday, June 26 – Friday, June 30
Session 2 (1-2:15 pm): Monday, August 7 – Friday, August 11
Join SRA member and rising Maggie Walker Governor’s School senior, Lilian Price, for some creative fun! All classes include a snack, and if your child is a Midget SRA swimmer, Lilian will happily escort them to the pool for afternoon swim practice after class! How easy is that?! All classes are $80.00 and include supplies and snacks. Make check payable to SRA.
Painting Basics: Ages 7-10
June 19-22, 1-3 p.m.
Wear some old clothes and get ready to have fun! This class will teach basic color theory fundamentals, along with landscape, still life, and abstract painting.
Yoga for Youngsters
Risking K-3rd Graders
Yoga for Youngsters is a camp specifically designed for the younger yoga student. Absolutely no prior experience is necessary. This camp will provide students the opportunity to practice fitness, enhance healthy body awareness and increase strength, flexibility, and balance in a fun, non-competitive environment.
There are three parts to each class. During the first segment, students will explore different yoga poses through games, interactive stories, themed sequences and creative moments. Students will spend the second part of camp making various craft projects that will complement that day’s class theme. Each class will end with a short period of quiet and stillness where students will turn inwards through different mindful practices. Lastly, they will follow various guided relaxations and concentrate on breath work. Students are encouraged to wear comfortable clothing that allows them to move freely.
Sarah Peavey is a graduate of the 200-hour Teacher Training program at Glenmore Yoga and Wellness Center where she previously taught prenatal yoga classes. She is working towards her 500-hour training with an emphasis on therapeutic yoga and her 95-hour Children’s Yoga certification. Sarah is currently taking a break from teaching in the classroom to stay at home with her two young children, Bodhi and Jane.
For more information, contact Sarah Peavey at email@example.com.
Register in the SRA office; make checks payable to Sarah Peavey. $125.00.
- Dates & Time: July 18-21, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Tuition includes a yoga mat.
- Bring a filled water bottle, healthy snack, a blanket and a favorite stuffed animal to camp each day.
Join Andrea Bleck-Smith for Adult Yoga class at Southampton. This hatha style, stress relief class will focus on using breath work to help spinal alignment, maintain and build strength and flexibility, and reduce stress in daily life.
Andrea Bleck-Smith is a 500 hour Experienced Registered Yoga teacher and a Certified Yoga Therapist. Teacher-certified through the Himalayan Institute and the International Association of Yoga therapist, she has over 3500 hours of teaching experience including teaching yoga teacher training. Teaching in the Himalayan tradition, Andrea uses the hatha style of yoga. You can visit her website at www.ablecksmith.com.
Guidelines — To get the most benefit from this course and to establish good habits for future practice, please remember the following:
1. Wear loose-fitting, comfortable clothing to class. You may wear socks, but bare feet are best.
2. For safety and hygiene bring a yoga mat to use during class. (The teacher will provide additional yoga props for use during class.)
3. This is your opportunity to practice relaxed awareness of body, breath, and mind. Be gentle but firm with your body. To avoid injury and get the most benefit, do not strain or go beyond your capacity.
4. Do no aggravate any current health problems. Let Andrea know if you have a health concern so she can offer adjustments to best benefit your body and mind.
5. To ensure safety: all students must be able to get down to and up from the floor without assistance.
6. Ask questions. Andrea is here to help you with all aspects of yoga, please ask if you have questions, concerns, or need assistance.
- Mondays, 8:00 – 9:00 a.m. and Fridays, 4:00 – 5:00 p.m.
- Need a minimum of 4 participants to run each class
- Classes will begin in May and run through the end of August
- Cost: Drop in rate of $10 per class, or $54 for six classes
- Register through the SRA office with checks payable to Andrea Bleck-Smith
Basketball, Baseball, Soccer, Yard Games, etc.
If you have an athletic background and you would be interested in offering a camp to our youngsters ages 9-14, please contact the SRA office.